Crazy For Paisley


Swirl your way into spring with the classic heritage print...


Paisley is the term used to describe the twisted teardrop pattern that is Iranian and Indian in origin. The patterned fabric also has associations with the summer of Love in 1967 when it became associated with the psychedelic style of the hippie movement and there was an increased interest in Indian spirituality in the West.


                                                                                                                                







         
      What I'm wearing:
Leahter Jacket: H&M, Dress: H&M, Cardigan: ZARA, Belt: Temptation Boutique, Tights: Primark, Shoes: Carlos Santana, Jewelry: Swarovski


The psychedelic motif of the '60s and '70s has transformed into a fresh, modern way to wear prints for Spring '12. Runways were full of the swirly, kidney-shaped pattern, and designers like Jil SanderStella McCartneyEtro, and more showed the in-your-face print on dresses, tops, and even jumpsuits. Paisley has largely Indian and Iranian roots, and interest in the print really flourished after the pilgrimage of the Beatles to India in 1968 (fun fact: it originally started out as a menswear print). Whether you choose a vibrant top or dress, or get a pop of paisley via a silk scarf or pair of earrings, you don't want to miss out on this playful, totally groovy print. 
The Indian/Iranian heritage print of swirling curling shapes finds new style currency this season. Emilio Pucci, famed for its swirls of pattern, updated its signature print for spring/summer 2012, splashing it across billowing skirts of mismatched and psychedelic paisley ranging from turquoise and lime to pink and scarlet.
I love most patterns and prints but paisley is one that I have had a long standing love for. It was definitely a favourite during my teenage years. I was pleased to see that paisley is on trend for SS12 (not that I wouldn’t wear it either way) but current trends often inspire me to wear something that I already have in my wardrobe. I loved the paisley prints at Jil Sander, Emilio Pucci, Stella McCartney, Matthew Williamson and Paul & Joe.

Although paisley prints used to remind me of my father's shirts from the 70's, hunting for vintage scarves and indulging in beautiful paisley's changed my mind about the retro design. Back when we sold vintage hijabs exclusively, we couldn't keep a paisley print in stock! It has certainly caught on as paisley fiercely strutted the runways this Spring 2012.
Rules to wear Paisley prints:

Will you be wearing Paisley this spring?

I hope you have a lovely weekend.
With warmest wishes
Dayhanna XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disneyland Paris

Trend to love: Neoprene